Monday, March 25, 2013

Impressing Easter

                              22 The stone the builders rejected 
                                   has become the cornerstone;    
                             23 the Lord has done this, 
                                   and it is marvelous in our eyes.    
                             24 The Lord has done it this very day;
                                  let us rejoice today and be glad.
                                                          Psalm 118:22-24


I was actually awake before everyone else today and took advantage of the chance to start my day with some quiet time in God's Word and this Psalm was what I opened to this morning.  I was planning to read in John but as soon as these verses caught my eye, I knew I was already in the right place for my reading today.  I love how God does that.

I've been thinking a lot about how to extend our celebration of Easter this year beyond Good Friday and Easter Sunday.  While Bug & Basil do understand what Easter is truly about, I wanted them to experience it more and want the truths of Easter to be etched into their hearts.  Over the last couple of years, we've used Truth in the Tinsel from Oh Amanda at Christmas and love it!  We don't always do a craft because of schedule, but still spent time in the Word every day and were talking about what we are really celebrating and looking at the many parts of the Christmas story.

So, I started looking for ways to do something similar at Easter.  There are some great ideas out there (gotta love the internet), but it's also very overwhelming.  I did Easter bracelets with the kids at church the weekend before Palm Sunday and an extra for Bug and those have been a nice starting off point.  Basil is already connecting it to our reading and listening.   For the rest, my goal is mainly to make sure we read and talk about the events leading up to Easter Sunday every day.  And today, I'm excited to share this Psalm with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment